Understanding AI – The New Future for the Screen Industries
Understanding the fast-moving challenge of AI and the exponential changes generative models are already having on the Film Value Chain are critical for all practitioners in the screen entertainment industries. AI is now (yes, already!) ubiquitous and is impacting on underlying rights and IP, copyright; screen writing; production planning; physical and digital production practice and delivery, vast types of algorithms and performance execution, to name just a few.
Course Director: Dr Angus Finney, Judge Business School, Cambridge University, author, executive producer, trainer/mentor
Dates: THREE workshops at 2 hours each to run 14.00-16.00 UK time (15.00 CET):
- Workshop 1: January 15th 2024
- Workshop 2: January 23th 2024
- Workshop 3: February 6th 2024
Looking forward to meet you: CineRegio in collaboration with Film i Väst
- A fee of 100 Euro will be charged, including all three sessions. Not refundable. The event link will be sent out prior to the event.
Understanding AI – The New Future for the Screen Industries is a series of three x two-hour online workshops:
- History and context: where AI came from, how it works, and what impact it is having on the film, TV/streaming business so far. What did the WGA and SAG-AFTRA strikes agree around AI? What can we all learn from that process?
- Utility in practice: How AI is influencing and impacting on key parts of the Film Value Chain in detail; and how are writers, producers and content makers using it right now? With Jason Yates, creative director and AI expert at ‘live action’ AI, image creation, and deck and bible generation etc.
- The Public Funder’s perspective: What should public funders be aware of that could impact on their decisions in supporting development, issues around IP, production, and distribution, and what would best practice look like with regards project assessments, for example? How can Public Funders be best prepared and engaged with the inevitable challenges upon us as a result of the AI revolution?
The online workshops (with break) will encourage open questions, debate and interaction. All workshops will be recorded. They will be supported by a series of curated ‘AI learning packs’ prepared by Angus Finney to enable further professional development around the subject.
Your host: Angus Finney
Dr Angus Finney is a world leading film and entertainment business specialist, author, and an executive producer. His current area of research is around AI and the creative industries, where he is co-authoring a paper with Dr Allegre Hadida (Cambridge University) around AI: commerce versus creativity. Angus is widely published, and his third edition of The International Film Business: A Market Guide Beyond Hollywood (Routledge), was launched in May 2022, and he is a regular senior contributor to Variety, the show business bible.